A smoothie is one of the best ways to get your nutrients along with a healthy dose of fiber. Simple to put together, it is prepared by adding all ingredients in a blender and then mixing them well.
The advantage that a smoothie has over juice is in its fiber content. A juice does not contain as much fiber and may not be as healthy as a smoothie because when it is made, the fiber is extracted from it.
However, a smoothie doesn’t take out the natural content, but makes it part of the drink instead. Smoothies are made from combining fruits and other ingredients and act as a source of providing necessary vitamins required by the body.
Smoothies are also an excellent option to help with weight loss. This makes them a popular choice for anyone who is looking to shed off some extra pounds. Smoothies are also equally popular when trying to maintain weight.
Here is what you need to know about preparing a smoothie.
Make sure you get the ratios right
- It all starts with having a liquid base which could include nut milks like almond milk or coconut milk, coconut water or even water. It is important to add the liquid before adding the fruit to the blender, as this prevents the blade from being damaged.
- The next step involves adding an estimated ¾ cup of fruits of your choice. The more the fruit, the thicker the smoothie.
- Bananas are voted as one of the best base flavors because of the creamy texture they provide. However other options of fruits that may be used include mangoes, berries, peaches, melons and apples (grated). You can even use avocado! Yummy!
- Honey and maple syrup may also be used as extra ingredients to provide the exact touch required and ice cubes may be added to contribute to the frost and thickness in the smoothie.
- Blend on high speed until mixed and you are good to go.
- If you’re a regular smoothie drinker, you can keep frozen fruit at home as freezing helps preserve the nutritional value as well as the flavor.
- Even fruits that aren’t normally kept frozen such as strawberries and melon can also be kept in this state to provide you with the perfect smoothie touch.
- Plus, supermarkets now carry an assortment of frozen fruits all year round to make availability even easier.
Creativity will do the trick
Sometimes experimenting can really help create a masterpiece which is why it is a good idea to add different flavors to a chosen recipe.
- You can experiment by adding cocoa powder or cinnamon as this will not only provide you with a delicious taste but also keep you full.
- For all protein lovers, you can add protein to your smoothies and have it for lunch or breakfast. A teaspoon of almond or cashew butter or protein powder will do the trick and give your smoothie the protein boost it requires.
- Other smart options include choosing from healthy seed options such as chia or flaxseed and adding them to your smoothie before blending. These options are great for omega 3 fatty acids.
- Adding a few greens like kale or spinach, is a great boost for your smoothie.
Visit my YouTube channel for healthy recipes and tips.