Have you heard of Quinoa? If you haven’t and you have been craving for rice or heavy carbs, then this may be the best alternative. Quinoa is a nutritious seed that originated in the Andes Mountains thousands of years ago. It is packed with more protein as compared to other grains and seeds available.
A lot of people especially vegetarians love quinoa because it’s packed with vitamins, nutrients, its yummy and great for the body. If you have been thinking about trying it for some time now but you do not know what to do first, then you have come to the right place.
In this article, you will be taught how to do a simple Mediterranean Quinoa recipe from scratch. Are you ready to find out?
- 1 cup of quinoa (white or 3 color blend)
- fresh parsley
- crumbled feta cheese or vegan Daiya cheese
- bell peppers
- olive oil
- green onions
- cherry tomatoes
- lemon juice
- First you need to prepare your quinoa. To do this, thoroughly rinse your quinoa in water first. Make sure to do this thoroughly. In a large pot, add 2 cups of water and 1 cup of quinoa. Let it boil and then let it simmer down for about 15 minutes. Once all the water has been absorbed, use a fork to fluff it up a little bit and then let it cool down.
- In another bowl, add the cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, chopped fresh parsley, and crumbled feta cheese.
- Add the lemon juice and 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix everything together thoroughly so that the flavors are blended properly.
- Add all the other ingredients into the quinoa and mix thoroughly. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits
Quinoa is a great protein grain to add to your diet. Let’s take a look at some of the health benefits you can get from the main ingredients included in this dish.
- Quinoa – Aside from quinoa being a great source of protein, there are also a lot of other health benefits that you can gain from this food. Quinoa contains fiber, which is much higher than most other grains available. It is also gluten free, which is perfect for those who have intolerance for gluten. It’s also great for maintaining blood sugar, because it has a low glycemic index.
- Green Onions – A lot of people find onions a bit hard to eat, but did you know that green onions have a lot of health benefits? They are packed with nutrients, which means that they contain low calories but are also high in vitamins and minerals.Green onions are also packed with antioxidants, can benefit the heart, help control your blood sugar, and have a lot of antibacterial properties. They also have a lot of benefits that helps keep your digestive system and immune system healthy.
- Feta cheese – This type of cheese is light and yummy all at the same time. It contains a high amount of vitamin B, phosphorus and calcium, which can benefit the health of your bones. It also contains good bacteria and fatty acids.
Try this Recipe Out
Adding this yummy grain to your diet daily can help you develop healthy habits and keep a healthy lifestyle.
For more information on how to cook your own healthy meals, check out our YouTube channel for more healthy recipes you can experiment with: https://www.youtube.com/changemyeatinghabits