Superfoods are mostly plant based foods that are known to be nutritionally dense and can therefore provide a lot of health benefits. Among these there are a number of fruits, greens and vegetables that have earned the label of being superfoods.
These foods have extra large doses of vitamins and minerals and can help people live a healthier life.
Some of the most potent nutrients that superfoods offer include antioxidants. They are known to offer health benefits such as prevent premature aging of skin and strengthening the immune system.
In addition, superfoods contain healthy fats and fiber that can help with digestive problems.
Phytochemicals are another component of superfoods that can have a number of health benefits. Phytochemicals are the chemicals in plants responsible for their deep colors and smells and are important in superfoods as they give these foods their potential to help reduce some diseases.
Some of the most well-known superfoods are the following:
- Blueberries: This fruit often tops the list of superfoods as it is very high in vitamins, soluble fiber and phytochemicals.
- Kiwi fruit: Kiwi fruit shares many health benefits similar to those of blueberries and other berries. It is known as a superfood because it has a wider range of nutrients when compared to other fruits.
- Kale and leafy greens: Like most other dark, leafy greens, kale is also considered a superfood. These foods are packed with vitamins A, C and K as well as fiber, calcium and other minerals.
- Whole grains and beans: These are classified superfoods as they are sources of low fat protein, have a lot of insoluble fiber and an equal number of vitamins and trace minerals.
- Nuts and seeds: These foods have very high concentrations of minerals and healthy fats. However, since they are high in calories, consuming nuts and seeds, you need to pay attention to portion control.
Add superfoods to your daily diet. Your health and mood will improve!
Visit my YouTube channel for healthy recipes and tips.