Standard American Diet, or as to how Dr. Joel Fuhrman put it, DAD Diet or the Deadly American Diet, is consuming more than 50% of calories from processed food that contains no vital micronutrients.
But what is the Standard American Diet?
– 54% of America’s calories come from processed food (soft drinks, packaged food like chips, desserts, etc.)
– 32% comes from animal products
– 11% vegetables, fruit, nuts, and beans
– 4% whole grains
Many people consume products that are fast-food. Fast-foods are not limited to foods bought at restaurants; they are usually in a pack, easily accessible, ready-made and eaten right away.
To further understand what fast-foods exactly are, here are some of the things to look out for:
- Digested and absorbed rapidly
- Multiple synthetic ingredients
- Calorically dense
- Nutritionally barren
- Highly flavored
- High in salt and pepper
It is important to remember that all packaged foods and animal-derived products do not contain essential nutrients our bodies need. Junk food may sound tempting but with every bite of it can shorten your lifespan.